Saturday, June 18, 2011

My talk with Mike Rumsowers on his Walk For Christ

Around ten thirty this morning, my editor called me in and in a rushed voice told me that a man who was walking across America and happened to be at Lyndel. She wondered if I could hurry over there with a photographer I work with and interview him.

On my way over, my editor called me and told me that he was carrying with him a Cross attached to a fifty pound hand cart. The first thing that crossed my mind was 'And here I was having a normal day, I guess I need my daily dose of crazy.'

As I started talking with Mike I realized that he was actually a very normal man set out on a calling. A calling he believes came from Christ. He had a dream of him walking across the Golden Gates Bridge with a cross. After the dream had recurred several times and many talks with his Reverend, they both decided that this was his ministry to Christ. So he packed up and flew out to the Golden Gates Bridge and is walking from there to Missouri. He is currently in Utah.

He plans to take highway 6 all the way up to 189 over to 40, and 40 over to 36, on the other side of Colorado. His kids are waiting for him at his home in Missouri.

Now, you must understand, I am not one to believe in such grand callings as this, but this guy had some amazing stories. He told me, ‘I’ve had experiences where people were spitting, throwing beer cans at me. I’ve had people pull guns on me. I’ve seen beautiful blessings where people came right to the foot of the cross and gave their lives to Christ right along side of the road.’

He is trying to fulfill a mission, a show of visual faith to the people of the world. He wants people to understand that he is not Christ, nor is he trying to be. But he wants to bring as many people he can to the light, and believes this is the way he was called to do it.

Now I've met my fair share of crazy people, but this guy, he didn't give off the crazy person vibe. He was happy, easy to talk to, willing to share his stories. He told me of stories where he has let people carry the cross with him, told me of how he talked to people, how he did all he could to ease their broken hearts. His mission (go to thewalkforchrist.com if you want to learn more about it) was a strong one, and although thought of as crazy by most, it is endearing and impressive.

God speed to Mike. Maybe he's right after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment